The castle is composed of two sections, with three towers of different shapes from different historical periods. The oldest is the square tower, followed by the smaller octagonal and the cylindrical towers, which were built later. The cylindrical tower is an integral part of the castle's protecting walls.
The structure was originally a look-out tower, around the year 1000; it was enlarged and transformed into a castle between the 13th and 15th centuries, when the keep was added to the square tower. In the 18th century it became a noble residence, which is when the second section with the cylindrical tower was built.
After the Aleramicis it belonged to the Del Bosco marquises, before passing to the important Malaspina family with the marriage of Agnese del Bosco to Federico Malaspina. Giovan Battista di Lodron received the feud as part of the dowry of his bride, Violante Malaspina, in the early 16th century, before it passed into the hands of the Ferrari family of Rivalta Bormida in 1598. They remained the castle's owners until 1922, when it was sold to the Marquis Cesare Staglieno, a patrician from Genoa. The Staglienos sold it to the Capos, from Argentina. The current owners, the Remondinis, bought it from them in 1951.
Some of the castle's rooms have floors in majolica, antique furnishings and paintings, while the frescoes featuring coats of arms recall the various noble families who have owned the castle through the centuries.
The underground vaults, once prisons, have barrel and cross vaults, and are now used to store the winery's wines.
The castle is surrounded by a beautiful park with hundred-year-old trees and vineyards. The DOC wines made from the grapes are available for tasting. Events, ceremonies and weddings are organized here.
After a quick look at the private oratory of SS. Annunziata, also known as Castellero, outside the walls, the tour starts from the entrance to the park and takes visitors on a brief walk through the historic gardens, which offer a beautiful view over the Monferrato hills. The tour then continues around the castle exterior, to observe its architecture, before entering the castle. Passing through the entrance hall and corridor, two baroque parlours and the billiard room on the ground floor, visitors then climb the dramatic staircase to the second floor, where they can see the library of historical and military books and the bedroom of the last owner.
Holiday cottages, tastings, event rental, wines from the castle's winery on sale.
Local sights: ethnographic museum, parish church of San Martino, sanctuary of the Uvallare, church of S. Quirico, chapel of S. Sebastiano, Chiesetta della Moglia church, parish church of S. Martino
Nearby: Acqui Terme baths, Alto Monferrato castles, wineries
Typical products: wines from the castle (Barbera del Monferrato, Dolcetto d'Acqui, Brachetto d'Acqui, Chardonnay, Moscato d'Asti), local wines (Dolcetto d'Ovada, Gavi DOCG, Cortese del Monferrato, Moscato d'Asti, Brachetto di Acqui, Passito di Strevi), Roccaverano Robiola cheese, Ponzone Filetto Baciato salami, white Alba truffles
Sports: horseriding, outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, tamburello
Events: "Fiera del Vitello Intero" (August)