Gardens

Giardini di Villa Doria il Torrione a Pinerolo

Il Torrione estate was first noted in the Middle Ages and a drawing by Bertino Rivetti, dated 1558 shows an embattled tower. It was a big project which over time was commissioned by the various owners and involved many architects. The works which took place are documented and the architectural designs drawn up by the architects Ignazio Michela, Mainoni, Clerichetti and the German landscape gardener, Xavier Kurten are conserved in the archives.
In the 16th century the ownership of the property passed from Renato di Challant to Gladio de Cordone and eventually to the Trucchietti family, each in turn they made the estate more productive. In 1856 Marquis Leone Doria Lamba of Doria’s family from Genova bought the property and during the reign of Carlo Alberto decorations and embellishments were added to make the building more refined.

CARATTERISTICHE_VISITA

The park, like many of Kurten’s projects for the court of the House of Savoy and for the nobility of the realm, follows the English romantic vision. Nature has been “recreated” to enhance the beauty of the natural environment and leave open spaces through the woods, which were planted 180 years ago, so as to enhance the views. In front of the main building there is a large green area where a flock of Texel sheep graze. The woodlands which surround the park are crossed by pathways and from these shortcuts visitors can enjoy the views.
Many of the trees in the park are ancient, there are big oak trees, horse chestnuts, plane trees, Austrian pines, ash trees, white cedars, biloba gingko, cypress trees, magnolias, poplars, hornbeams, tulip trees, cedars of Lebanon, hortensias and Diospyros Virginiana (American kaki, over 20m high). Recently holly bushes and bamboo have also been planted and – in the words of Paolo Pejrone – the “light, brush strokes of groups of white hortensia”, Hydrangea arborescens, ‘Anabelle’ brighten up the shaded areas while the H. ‘M.me Emile Mouillière’ enhance the areas which are closer to the residence.
To the north of the main building the plan of the park becomes more formal with large, elliptical lawns on either side of a tree-lined avenue of hornbeams which is shown on the designs of Kurten and which reaches the entrance of the main building and the family chapel where over the centuries all of the family events took place.

ZOO_ITEM_HISTORY_BACK

Logo Castelli Aperti

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy.