At the start of the century, the Cerrato family starts building work on the Castle.
Senatore Bernardino Scozia donates the entire estate to the Consignore of Verduno, Benedetto Cerrato.
The Treaty of Cherasco: Verduno passes under the jurisdiction of the House of Savoy.
The Rachis family of Racconigi purchases the Castle from the Scozias.
Maurizio Rachis sells all his property to Carlo Luigi Caisotti of Nice, former Count of Santa Vittoria, and, from 1739, Marquis of Verduno. The new owner has part of the castle rebuilt from a design by Juvarr
Carlo Giuseppe Caisotti bequeaths his property in Verduno in equal parts to the San Giovanni and Carità hospitals in Turin.
King Carlo Alberto of Savoy purchases the Castle of Verduno from the two charitable institutions and entrusts the management of his estate and wine cellar to the famous enologist General Carlo Staglieno. Here, following the method suggested by Giulia Falletti Colbert, the ‘Oenotechnician General’ Paolo Francesco Staglieno made the first vinifications of the nebbiolo grape, laying the bases for modern Barolo. Oddone, son of Vittorio Emanuele II and Maria Adelaide, lived in the castle for long periods. The young man, who suffered from a sickly constitution, occupied his time by studying and cataloguing fossil remains unearthed in the nearby “Rocche Patarine”.
The Burlotto family purchases the castle and its estate from the House of Savoy.
Part of the castle is converted into a hotel and the wine cellars are restored to life for the production of Barolo and Verduno.
Elisa Burlotto, daughter of the Commendatore Giovanni Battista passionately dedicated his time to what became the Real Castle. The daughters each manage one of the activities:
Alessandra Buglioni Monale takes care of restaurant, and of the project “Amore, mestoli e coltelli”
Elisabetta Buglioni Monale takes care of accommodation and the cultural project Art in the Castle.
In the castle itself, the guest rooms are situated in the wing restructured in 1737 by Marchese Caisotti from designs by Juvarra. The town of Verduno enjoys of a beautiful geographical location, and it is possible to admire the magnificent landscape of the Langhe territory, the Tanaro valley, the Roero and the Alps from the rooms of the castle. Antique furniture, decorations and period floors recall the past times.
One can get the Castalderia, recently restored, through the garden. Amazing frescos in the rooms, dating back to the XVIII century.
Annexed to the castle garden, Foresteria Nando is a magnificently restored nineteenth-century farmhouse. A delightful iron and stone staircase leads up to the balcony along which the rooms are situated. Each room has its own colour scheme, but they all combine night and day.
The genuineness of traditional Piedmontese dishes and charming atmosphere where you are surrounded are unusual experiences. The Chef Alessandra Buglioni di Monale enhanced the great traditional dishes with new fresh flavours, a desire for novelty combined with the continuous pursuit of the finest fresh ingredients.
A rich selection of fine wines from the best producers.
6 July: Alba Music Festival, cocktail party in the Garden.