Museums

Museo Civico e Gipsoteca Bistolfi a Casale Monferrato

The museum is housed within the former Augustinian convent of Santa Croce. Access is through the large cloister, frescoed in the early 17th century with stories from the life of Saint Nicholas of Tolentino by the painter Guglielmo Caccia, known as Il Moncalvo. The museum's collection is the result of a variety of donations by Casale citizens, initially brought together in a civic collection in the mid 19th century. There are many works by Piedmontese and Lombard artists such as Martino Spanzotti, Niccolò Musso, Francesco Cairo, Pietro Francesco Guala, Angelo Morbelli and others, as well as wooden and ceramic sculptures. The archaeological section is home to the display "Longobards in Monferrato: Archaeology of the Iudiciaria Torrensis".
The "Leonardo Bistolfi Gipsoteca" is located on the ground floor and contains over 170 works by the Casalese symbolist sculptor, including terracottas, drawings, models, plaster casts, marbles and bronzes.
A splendid 15th-century portal from the former church of Santa Maria di Piazza can be found in the small cloister.

CARATTERISTICHE_VISITA

During the "Castelli Aperti" initiative (second weekwend of every months) free guided tours are available of the Torre Civica, the Theater, churches and palaces, starting at 3 pm every second Sunday of the month. 
The civic museum is regularly open to the public throughout the year, with a entrance fee.

CURIOSITA_VISITA

IN THE AREA

Basso Monferrato castles, Sanctuary and Sacro Monte di Crea.

TYPICAL PRODUCTS

Portinaro (Via Lanza 17) still makes krumiri the artisanal way. While the exact origins of the biscuits are unknown, one legend maintains that they were created after the death of King Victor Emanuel II in 1878 and modelled on his handlebar moustache. Others say that the name was inspired by an episode of the time when a caravan of Europeans was rescued by a tribe of Bedouins called the Krumiri, in possession of a restorative elixir, and that the biscuits were named after the tribe. We know that Domenico Rossi was their inventor and that he was awarded a bronze medal at the Universal Exposition in Turin in 1884 for his recipe. The biscuits also received a royal warrant from Umberto I and the royal princes.
Today they are sold in a distinctive red metal tin.
Wines (Barbera, Grignolino), white Alba truffles.

EVENTI

"Casale Città Aperta" and antiques market (second weekend of the month), "Fiera di San Giuseppe" (March), "Riso e Rose" (May), "Festa del Vino e del Monferrato" wine festival (September).

EVENTI_VISITA

13 maggio: Castelli Aperti, opening 10.30-13.00 15.00-17.00, free admittance. Beethoven concert at 17.00, Saint Cross Cloister.

23 June: "Open for Culture", exhibitions and show in the town center, free admittance in the Museum from 21.30 till 23.30.

September: European Heritage Day.

ZOO_ITEM_HISTORY_BACK

Open all year round:
Thursday 8.30-12.30, 14.30-16.30;
Friday, Saturday, Sunday and holidays 10.30-13.00, 15.00-18.30 (6 January, Easter, 2 and 25 April, 1 May, 2 June, 15 August, 1 November, 8 and 26 December).

Open by appointment for groups (min. 10 people).

Guided tours in english and french by appointment.

Educational activities for classes and families.

Adult € 5;
students € 3,5;
groups (min. 10 people) € 2,5;
free for children under 16, disabled visitors with companion, journalists, Abbonamento Musei Torino Piemonte Card.

Logo Castelli Aperti

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy.