The castle’s origins date back to the Middle Ages. Placed on the top of a hill, it was a fortress for defending the local area, with a square floor plan, surrounded by a moat.
Extended from the 15th century on with keeps, towers and additional floors, the castle took on its current appearance thanks to the Beraudo counts of Pralormo who lived in it from 1680. After it was no longer needed for military purposes, in 1730 it was given a beautiful chapel and an additional floor with frescoed rooms, but the most radical transformation came in 1840 when Carlo Beraudo di Pralormo, minister and ambassador for King Carlo Alberto, entrusted the building and its park to the court’s best architects. The architect Ernesto Melano turned the fortress into an elegant residence, getting rid of the moat and drawbridge and making the central courtyard into a grand ballroom three stories high. Landscape architect Xavier Kurten created a romantic park in English style, characterized by a “path of delights” with scenic effects and skilfully placed viewpoints through the trees, highlighting the spectacular mountain views.
At the end of the 19th century an Orangery was added to the park, as well as a magnificent Cascina and a greenhouse in glass and iron by the Lefebvre Brothers of Paris.
The castle is still permanently inhabited by the owners who, seeing themselves as “temporary custodians”, believe it is their duty to preserve the castle and estate with constant maintenance works but also open it to the public, without losing its character.
There are two tour options, the first looking at everyday life and revealing the “behind-the-scenes” of a lunch through the castle’s rooms, all fully furnished, from the cellars to the kitchens to the noble halls.
The second is dedicated to a vintage scale model around which electric, steam and wind-up trains run, passing through tunnels dug out of the walls, past painted landscapes and through stations and freight yards.
31 March - 1 May: Sir Tulip, a flower festival, in the beautiful XIXth century garden designed by Xavier Kurten.
13 May: Castelli Aperti, opening 10.00-18.00, special activities for kids.
31 March - 1 May: Sir Tulip Festival, opening every day.
6 May - 25 November: Sunday and holidays (Easter, 2 and 25 April, 1 May, 2 June).
Closed in August.
Open by appointment for groups (min. 15 people).
Guided tours in english, german and french by appointment.
It is possible to book a visit with the owner.
Adult € 9; groups (min. 15 people) and reduction € 7;
students (age 4-12 anni), disabled visitor € 5;
free for children under 4.
The Toy Train of the Count (5-12 people): adult € 12; reduction € 10; students (age 6-12) € 8.
Castle and Toy Train: adult € 15; students (age 6-12) € 10.
Sir Tulip Festival: adult € 8; groups (min. 15 people) and reduction € 6,5; students (age 4-12 anni), disabled visitors € 4; free for children under 4.
Buy tickets online on www.ciaotickets.com