The first mentions of Monasterolo date back to a document of 907. The place name comes from a Benedictine monastery, perhaps the property of Nonantola, around which the town formed.
The construction of the impressive castle dates to the 13th century (1241) and is attributed to the initiative of Raimondo and Ottone Boverio, founders of the Marquisate of Busca of the Langhe and Rossana.
Destroyed in the wars of 1357-1363 which devastated Monasterolo, the castle was rebuilt by the marquises of Saluzzo. The current imposing structure dates back to that period, as do the three square towers and the southwest cylindrical tower, together with the exterior moat and the “Rivellino” fortified entrance.
In 1378 the castle was bought by the Solaro di Asti family, who paid “13,000 gold florins of Florence” to Count Amadeus VI of Savoy. This was the origin of the Solaro di Monasterolo family line, named counts in the 17th century.
In the spring of 1630, Cardinal Richelieu’s army set up camp in Monasterolo during a war with Duke Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy.
Between the 15th and 18th centuries the castle underwent a series of renovations to refine the residence: the addition of groin vaults in some rooms, the construction of the dramatic staircase with three flights on columns and the roof covering.
In the 20th century, Countess Maria Solaro di Monasterolo sold the castle to the Monasterolo municipality (1928).
Visitors pass through the typical rooms of a noble country residence. The engraved, multi-coloured coffered ceilings in the two first-floor rooms date back to the early 17th century.
The rococo decorations in the mezzanine rooms and the construction of the castle’s northern wing are from the following century, as is the entrance that gives on to the current square.
The elegant “sala d’oro”, the golden room, has refined chiselling and six paintings on display, portraying bouquets of flowers and the busts of two women.
The northwest-facing wing was constructed at the start of the 19th century, and completes the façade.
Town sights: Villa Fontana, church of the Confraternita dei Disciplinati with baroque interior
In the area: Savigliano, Saluzzo, Manta, Racconigi castle and LIPU bird oasis, Lagnasco castles
Typical products: Piedmontese-breed beef and cured meats, Grana Padano DOP cheese, wheat and maize, fruit
Sports: new gym and sports fields behind the castle
Events: “Festa del Patrocinio di San Giuseppe” (third week after Easter); “Festa della Madonna dei Belli” (third week of June); summer festival (first Sunday of July); “Festa Patronale dei Corpi Santi” with folklore, cultural and sporting events (second Sunday of October)
13 May: Castelli Aperti, guided tours.
15 and 16 September: Historic reenactment.
Saturday: 15.00-18.00, Sunday: 10.00-12.00 and 15.00-18.00.
15 and 16 September;